The fire beneath burns deep



The fire beneath burns deep,
suffocating me with toxic fumes that plead me to breathe my last.
The entire world is crumbling and the sky is falling.
The sun loses its warmth and grows darker with every second that passes,
while the moon spins out of orbit.
Amongst this chaos exists an innocent soul,
Who yearns to escape the doomsday clock.
The child screams out in fear and pain, for he wishes to live.
His time is up and his death certificate has been signed.
Nothing can be done to save this young fighter.
The ground opens up and he cries out “I chose life and yet you give me death”.
His body falls into the black abyss, never to be seen again, thus, marking those words to be his last.

I choose to hold onto life rather than death,
For life takes bravery.
Hope is not just an ordinary word.
It’s an entity that fuels people to bring out the best in their lives.
That supposed entity appears in front of me like a spirit.
It whispers four words in my ears,
then disappears into the night.
“Better days are coming”.
Those words echoed its way down into my mind and soul.
It then hits me at that moment,
Why do I have to give into this flame's unjust demand?
Life is like an island.
To be able to get there you have to get through the storms that blow your way.
I'd rather fight through the storms than drown like a lonely leaf would in the vast ocean,
for its one life and we're not getting it back once we've lost it.
I grab some water and extinguish the flames,
For I have hope on my side.
I know that there’s nothing more powerful than hope,
And that’s what drives me….. To fight through the worst.

Comments

Popular Posts